A non-surgical way to remove your double chin is simple with Belkyra®, a revolutionary innovative aesthetic medicine that gets rid of unwanted fat below your chin in under and hour. Yes, that’s right! You no longer need liposuction to reshape your saggy chin and neck now that this simple FDA and Health Canada approved treatment of submental fullness caused by bulging fat injection procedure is available.
Belkyra® is designed for adults who dislike the appearance and profile of their chin area due to bulging stubborn fat. It can get rid of moderate to severe submental fat. This treatment right for you if you want to get rid of, or reduce, excess fat under your chin and around your neck giving you the appearance of a double chin. This treatment will leave you with a more pronounced jaw line, graceful neck and more confidence.
Approximately 60 minutes, or less.
A Belkyra® treatment involves injecting a pharmaceutical drug that is based on deoxycholic acid, a chemical substance that can be found naturally in the human body, into the area underneath your chin. Once injected, this aesthetic medicine works to break down the fat you don’t want under your chin. In one or more sessions, you’ll see that bulging fat slim down, giving you a firmer neck area, you’ll absolutely love.
The number of treatments you will need depends on the results you are looking for. Many patients require at least two to six injection sessions, spaced a month apart.
How does the aesthetic medicine work?
Deoxycholic acid (the basis of Belkyra®) destroys fat cells (technically known as adipocytes and lipocytes) by disrupting their membranes. When the membranes are no longer intact, the contents of the fat cells are released. These contents are free fatty acids and glycerol. Your body takes these away to be processed as waste matter.
During your treatment, you’ll receive multiple injections into the area under your chin, where excess fat creates the look of a double chin. The injection sites are pre-marked to ensure accuracy. The number of injections during a single session can vary from 20 to 50, all in the underside of your chin.
Most patients don’t require any anesthesia, but a local anesthetic may be applied to reduce discomfort.
The fat that has been destroyed never returns, which means you’ll enjoy permanent results from your treatments.
It’s important to note that only small amounts of fat are dissolved during your injection, so you won’t experience any negative impact on your liver or kidneys following this medical aesthetic treatment.
Belkyra® treatments are a safe and effective way to eliminate your double chin without surgery. All you need are simple injections to reshape your neck contour for permanent results.
This is a prescription medicine that can only be obtained from a doctor. Our doctor will first assess your concerns and general health to ensure Belkyra® is suitable for you. Some questions our doctor may ask you during your consultation include whether you have swallowing difficulties or bleeding issues. Also, Belkyra® may not be suitable for you if you have an infection in the area you’d like to have treated and should not be used if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
You should also know that this procedure, unfortunately, is only designed to eliminate unwanted fat. It does not tighten loose skin. However, we offer a variety of skin tightening treatments that can help firm up loose skin post treatment for a dramatic improvement. If you have time, you can schedule a skin tightening treatment in conjunction with your Belkyra® treatment.
Side Effects to be Aware of
Belkyra® is a safe treatment for under chin fat and double chins. However, like any medical treatment, you should be aware of the side effects and any possible risks.
Common side effects include:
- areas of hardness in the treatment area
Rare complications may include:
- swallowing difficulties
- nerve injury in the face or jaw, making it difficult to smile evenly or perform other facial expressions
- It is not recommended to schedule your treatment within 2-3 weeks of a special event or vacation.
- Please discontinue the use of Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment to minimize bruising or bleeding. Please consult with your primary physician prior to discontinuing any medications.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
- If you develop a cold/flu, infection, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, please reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- We will not provide Belkyra® treatments for clients with current or history of Dysphagia, “trouble swallowing”, currently pregnant or breastfeeding, with presence of infection at or near the injection sites or under the age of 18.
- We will take careful consideration in performing Belkyra® treatments on patients with excessive skin laxity, prominent platysmal bands, thyromegaly, cervical lymphadenopathy, pronounced sub-mandibular glands, prior surgery or aesthetic treatment to the treatment area, presence of scar tissue in the treatment area, sunburned or irritated skin, history of use of blood thinners, and current use of blood thinning agents or anti-coagulants.
- Our Vitality Skin Expert Staff will assist and advise in coordinating Belkyra® treatments when being treated with other aesthetic services to provide optimal results.
POST TREATMENT CARE
For any discomfort, you may take over the counter acetaminophen and/or pain reliever if needed. Do NOT, touch, press, rub, massage, or manipulate the treatment area. Ice the treated areas for the next 24 hours. Place the icepack on the area for 20 minutes and remove the ice pack for 20 minutes. Continue this pattern for 24 hours. Apply (over the counter) Arnica gel to the treatment area to help decrease the bruising, swelling, and discomfort. Sleep on your back and with your head elevated for the next 3-5 days after your treatment. Drink plenty of water and fluids after treatment. Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for 3-5 days after treatment. Avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week after treatment. These items may increase bleeding and bruising. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation. Avoid cosmetic treatments such as injectables, laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or micro-dermabrasion to the Belkyra® treatment area. Please report to your provider immediately if you develop an asymmetric smile or facial muscle weakness, skin ulceration in the treatment area, difficulty swallowing, or if any existing symptom worsens.